To make ten cornflour tortillas, you will need one cup of instant gluten free masa corn flour, three-quarters of a cup of hot tap water and a third of a teaspoon of salt.
Before beginning to make the tortillas cut the plastic into two disks the same size as the tortilla press. These will prevent the dough from sticking to the press . Use the thickest plastic you have.
- To make the tortillas mix all the ingredients together and knead until you have reached a dough the consistency of play-dough. Add more water or flour as the case may be to achieve this
- Place a damp kitchen towel over the dough and let it prove for twenty to thirty minutes.
- Divide the dough into pieces about an ounce in weight. Roll into balls
- Line the bottom of the press with one round of plastic. Place a dough ball on top of this. Flatten the ball slightly with the palm of your hand. Now place the other round of plastic on top of that. Top it with the other round .
- Clamp the two halves of the tortilla press together. The press will flatten the dough into a perfectly round tortilla
- Remove from the press and lift the tortilla from the plastic pieces into the palm of your hand.
- Heat the pan and drop the tortilla while holding it palm up into it, starting with one edge and then slowly lowering the rest of the tortilla until the pan until it lies flat in the pan. Be careful to do this in fluid motion as otherwise, the tortilla will stick to the pan.
- Cook for about 30 to forty-five seconds and then flip with a spatula.
- Cook for another sixty seconds and then flip again. The tortilla will start to bubble and rise. Press down on the tortilla with the spatula once or twice to pop the bubbles. Cook for about thirty seconds and flip for the last time.
- Press down the tortilla with the spatula again. Little brown spots will appear after a couple of seconds.
- Remove from the pan and place into a dish that has been lined with a napkin. Wrap the napkin over the tortilla
- Continue to make the rest of the tortillas and place them one on top of the other in the dish, stacking and wrapping them with the napkin as you go.
- Once the tortillas have all been cooked, leave them wrapped in the napkin for fifteen to twenty minutes. This will make the tortillas soft and moist. For best results, allow cooling to room temperature