Crispy fried Tofu
Author: Cee Gee
- Serving size: 100 grams
- Calories: 200-300 kcal
- Fat: 10-20 grams
- Carbohydrates: 4-8 grams
- Sugar: 0-1 grams
- Sodium: 5-15 milligrams
- Fiber: 1-2 grams
Recipe type: Vegan
Tofu, also known as bean curd, is a versatile and protein-rich ingredient cherished by both vegetarians and non-vegetarians worldwide. Our recipe takes ordinary tofu to new heights, elevating it to an irresistible crispy and golden goodness. The secret lies in marinating the tofu in a harmonious blend of soy sauce, rice vinegar, and aromatic spices, infusing it with delightful Asian-inspired flavours. In this recipe for crispy fried Tofu, with each bite, you'll savour the satisfying crunch of the crispy exterior, while the interior remains delightfully tender and full of flavour. The addition of fresh, thinly sliced chillies adds an exciting burst of heat that complements the tofu's richness, creating a symphony of tastes that will excite your palate. But that's not all! This Crispy Tofu recipe is not only an explosion of taste but also a celebration of health. Tofu is a fantastic source of plant-based protein, calcium, and iron, making it a nutritious alternative to meat. Whether you're a tofu enthusiast or looking to add more plant-based meals to your repertoire, this recipe is a perfect choice that promises to satisfy both your cravings and nutritional needs.
- 1 block of firm tofu (14-16 ounces), drained and pressed
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to your spice preference)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2-3 fresh red chillies, thinly sliced (seeds removed for less heat, if desired)
- Fresh cilantro leaves (for garnish)
- Steamed rice (optional, for serving)
Step 1: Prepare the Tofu
- Drain the tofu and place it on a plate lined with several layers of paper towels.
- Gently press the tofu with more paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Cut the tofu into bite-sized cubes or rectangular pieces, depending on your preference.
Step 2: Create the Tofu Marinade
- In a mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper.
- Whisk the marinade until well combined.
Step 3: Marinate the Tofu
- Place the tofu pieces into the marinade bowl, ensuring they are well coated with the mixture.
- Allow the tofu to marinate for at least 20-30 minutes, or longer for enhanced flavor. You can even prepare the tofu ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator overnight.
Step 4: Crisp up the Tofu
- In a shallow dish, spread the cornstarch evenly.
- Dredge each marinated tofu piece in the cornstarch, ensuring they are fully coated.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, carefully add the coated tofu to the skillet, ensuring they are in a single layer.
- Cook the tofu for about 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown and crispy.
Step 5: Serve and Garnish
- Transfer the crispy tofu to a serving plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- Garnish the tofu with sliced chillies and fresh cilantro leaves for an extra burst of flavor and vibrant appeal.
- Serve the crispy tofu with steamed rice for a fulfilling and wholesome meal.
- There you have it – a scrumptious Crispy Tofu recipe served with sliced chillies that's bound to impress both vegans and non-vegans alike! The combination of the crispy tofu and the zesty kick of the chillies creates a delightful harmony of tastes and textures. It's perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or a special gathering with friends and family. Give this recipe a try and let your taste buds dance with joy! Enjoy!