Author: Cee Gee
- Serves: 8
- Serving size: 300g
- Calories: 941
- Fat: 59 g
- Saturated fat: 23 g
- Unsaturated fat: 1 g
- Trans fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 53 g
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 2528 mg
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 43 g
- Cholesterol: 163 mg
Recipe type: Snacks
This is a recipe that is so easy to make, but delivers a fantastic taste. Chilli dogs are hot dogs that have been spiced up with a tasty Chili and served with fresh onions on top of melted cheese. Great light meal or snack that will be enjoyed by your friends and family .
- Minced beef – 500 grams
- Tinned plum tomatoes – 0ne tin ( drained contents 240 grams)
- Tomato paste – 1 tablespoon
- Chilli powder – one tablespoon
- Red Chillies - 2 ( chopped)
- Salt – one teaspoon
- Olive oil – 0ne tablespoon (and a bit more for coating hot dogs)
- Ground black pepper = ½ teaspoon
- Onion – one medium - diced
- Cheese – two cups (grated)
- Garlic – one clove – finely chopped
- Viennas or frankfurters– 8
- Hot dog rolls – 8
- Heat oil to a medium heat
- Add garlic, chillies and chilli powder. Fry for a minute ( be careful not to burn)
- Add minced beef. Fry until starting to brown
- Place tinned tomatoes in a blender and blend until smooth
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper meat.
- Turn down the heat and cook for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat your oven to grilling temperature.
- Coat the sausages with a light layer of oil
- Place in oven on a baking tray lined with aluminium foil
- Broil until heated through
- Place the broiled sausages in the hot dog rolls.
- Scoop chilli meat sauce in equal quantities over the hot dogs
- Cover with cheese
- Place in the oven and allow grilling until the cheese is melted.
- Serve with chopped onion on top of melted cheese.