Mexican cheese dip
Author: Cee Gee
- Serving size: 100g
- Calories: 133 kcal
- Fat: 15 grams
- Carbohydrates: 1.6 grams
- Sugar: 1.4 grams
- Sodium: 0.57 grams
- Fiber: 0.6 grams
- Protein: 9.1 grams
Recipe type: Dips
This great-tasting Mexican cheese dip with Chillies can be used as part of a buffet table, as an appetiser or simply as a Sunday evening snack. It has rich, satisfying flavours that are fantastic with an ice-cold beer or a glass of dry white wine. Buen provecho !
- Cheddar cheese – 250 grams ( shredded)
- Butter – 3 tablespoons
- White onion – ½ small ( finely diced)
- Garlic – 2 cloves ( finely chopped)
- Whole Jalapeno chillies - 5
- Chilli flakes – one teaspoon
- Tomato – one medium (finely diced).
- Milk – ¼ cup (Optional)
- Corn flour - 2 tablespoons
- Evaporated milk - 1 can (375 grams).
- Cumin powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Green coriander – ¼ cup (finely chopped)
- Roast Jalapenos over an open flame on a gas cooker or in a hot oven until skin is blistered and black( see method)
- Place in a glass bowl covered with cling film. Allow to cool
- Peel skin from peppers and discard. Chop remaining flesh into small chunks
- In a wide-rimmed frying pan heat one tablespoon of butter until foaming. Add onions and allow to become translucent ( 2 to 3 minutes)
- Add garlic, cumin and chilli flakes and allow to cook for one minute.
- Add tomato and cook for a further two minutes
- Remove from stove and add chopped Jalapenos. Keep to one side
- In a pot melt two tablespoons of butter stir in the cornflour. Stir until well combined. Add evaporated milk and stir until beginning to thicken
- Slowly incorporate cheese and stir until a thick sauce has developed. If it becomes too thick, add the milk
- Spoon cheese mixture into the pan containing the onions, Jalapenos tomato, garlic and chilli.
- Add chopped coriander
- Stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Served warm with tortillas, pitta bread, tortillas or French bread
Keywords: Mexican cheese dip