- Serving size: 100g
- Calories: 255g
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated fat: 9.9g
- Carbohydrates: 4,7g
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 0.31g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 8.8g
Recipe type: Meat balls
There is something about meatballs that make them special. It is simple food yet also filled with wonderful flavour This recipe from Spain is no different. It is comfort food of the highest order. The Chilli sauce elevates this dish to somewhere else .Once again ,sure to become a family favourite!
For the meatballs
- 1kg of minced beef (or half beef, half pork -both minced)
- 2 slices of white bread crumbs soaked in milk
- White wine - ¼ of a cup
- 2 eggs - beaten
- Flat leaf Parsley – 2 tablespoons finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic finely chopped
- Plain white flour – 5 tablespoons
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Olive oil- 2 tablespoons
For the Chilli sauce:
- 1 onion finely chopped
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Ripe tomatoes – 4 -5 large- chopped
- Bay leaves – 2 dried
- Tomato paste- 1 tablespoon
- Garlic – 2 cloves- finely sliced.
- Sugar - 1 teaspoon
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Chilli flakes 1 - 3 tablespoons (According to taste)
For the meatballs:
- Combine all the ingredients with the exception of the flour and olive oil and mix well. Place in a bowl covered with cling film in the refrigerator and allow flavours to mingle for 45 – 60 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of flour on a plate board. Using a sprinkling of the remaining flour on your hands, form meatballs using a cupping / rolling action. Aim to make about 20 – 25 meatballs. Roll formed meatballs in flour on a plate. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and fry meatballs until cooked through and well browned on the outsides. Keep Warm
For the Chilli Sauce:
- Heat olive oil and add onions. Fry until starting to become translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1 -2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook for 25 – 30 minutes
- Pour sauce over meatballs and serve immediately.