Italian sausage with Chilli
Author: Cee Gee
- Serving size: 100 grams
- Calories: 229 kcal
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 6
- Carbohydrates: <0 .5g
- Sugar: <0 .5g
- Sodium: 0.63g
- Fiber: <0 .5g
- Protein: 18g
Recipe type: Sausages
Some Sundays when we lived in Brussels, Belgium we would take a leisurely stroll to the open-air market held at Place Flaget (an open community square in Ixelles). Very typical of a French open market, this weekly get-together had a great ambiance and sense of joy de vivre. Between stopping of at a champagne tent for a flute of the best and a few oysters, you could buy wonderful produce from local artisan producers ,including – amongst others - freshly baked bread, cheese and sausages. On discovering this fantastic sausage - in the refrigerator van of an authentic Italian produce merchant - I became an immediate fan. No amount of bribing or charm would persuade him into sharing his recipe (a closely guarded secret) so I had no choice, but to try and replicate one of my own. I think this one is close, but out of respect for his great sausage will never claim it to be the same. Buon appetito
- Pork shoulder - 1 Kg (2¼ lbs)
- Belly of pork - 1 Kg (2¼ lb)
- Sausage casings - 3 meters (± 10 feet) 32/34mm (approx. 1 11 /32 inches wide) (see note)
- Fennel seed – 4 teaspoons
- Fine sea salt – 1 tablespoon
- Chillies - 4 Birds-eye – finely chopped
- Chilli powder - 4 teaspoons
- Black pepper - 2 teaspoons
- Ice cold white wine – ¼ of a cup
- Cut the meat into 25 mm x 25 mm (1-inch x 1-inch) pieces. Keep cool in a big mixing basin (plastic, porcelain or enamel-coated).
- Combine all the spices with salt. Mix well
- Prior to beginning mincing of meat, rinse the sausage casing in fresh clean water and then soak in lukewarm water for 30 minutes.
- Mince the meat into a coarse mince using a 4.5 mm (0.177 inch) mincing plate.
- Using your hands, mix spices and wine into minced meat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place mince into a sausage stuffer and fill casings. Ensure that the mixture is not filled too tightly as the sausage will burst when it is cooked.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours for flavours to develop.