Pollo ala Brasa
Author: Cee Gee
- Serving size: 100g
- Calories: 190 kcal
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Carbohydrates: 1.1g
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 1.1g
- Fiber: < 0.5g
- Protein: 9.6g
Recipe type: Grilled Chicken
This grilled chicken dish from Peruis truly outstanding. Pollo al la Brasa is marinated and cooked over indirect heat in a kettle style barbeque (or the oven) to provide a succulent chicken dish bursting with flavour. When served with the creamy Chilli sauce it’s taken to another level - out of this world! Another great dish from Peru.
For the Chicken
- 1 Chicken – 2 to 3 pounds
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 3 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 Birds-eye Chillies
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sugar
For the Chilli Sauce
- 3 roughly chopped jalapenos ( use Aji Amarillo if you can get it)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro/ coriander leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream or crème fresh
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the Chicken
- Wash the chicken and dry with paper towels.
- Combine all of the ingredients listed under "For the Chicken" (except the chicken itself) in a blender and mix well until smooth.
- Apply blended ingredients above on inside and outside of the chicken, ensuring that the skin is well coated. Carefully loosen the skin on the breast and legs and inject with marinade. Be careful not damage the skin. Use approximately 40% on the surface and the balance of the marinade under the skin. If you do not have a syringe use a spoon to pour into the gap between the skin and the flesh.
- Marinate the chicken in a glass or plastic container (covered with cling film) in the refrigerator for between 8 and 12 hours -preferably overnight as this will enhance the flavour.
- If barbequing, cook over indirect heat at a temperature of 180 degrees Celsius. Be careful that the flames do not scorch the chicken and that it cooks evenly. Use aluminium foil to cover areas in danger of browning too quickly. If cooking in the oven, roast in the centre of the oven at the same temperature. The chicken will be cooked using either method in about 75 -85 minutes
For the creamy Chilli Sauce
- Combine all of the ingredients for the Chilli sauce( except the olive oil) in a blender and mix well. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in olive oil until it emulsifies (combines and thickens). Pour into a bowl and refrigerate until ready for use.
- Once the chicken is cooked, cover with aluminium foil and let it rest for 10 minutes. Carve into pieces and serve with chilli sauce previously prepared.
- Polla ala Brasa can be served with a green salad or with vegetables.