Originally, the Mayans and eventually the Aztecs from Central America made a spicy drink by mixing chocolate and chillies called xocolātl ( spicy water). Fermented cocoa, vanilla, annatto, honey and Chillies were mixed with water to make a spicy, bitter drink that was frothy and thick.
A recipe for Xocolātl
To make xocolātl, you will need
- Jalapeno ( or other green chillies) - two ( topped and chopped)
- Vanilla extract – one stick
- Cocoa powder – 5 heaped tablespoons
- Honey – three tablespoons ( or more to personal taste)
- Water – 6 cups
To make the Xocolātl
- Bring three cups of water to the boil.
- Add the vanilla stick and chillies
- Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and strain
- Now add this to the remaining water
- Bring to the boil
- Mix the Cocao powder with a little cold water to make a paste.
- Add this slowly at about a tablespoon a time to the boiling water.
- Once all the cacao powder is mixed in, add the honey
- Stir until the honey is dissolved
The recipe for this chocolate drink is similar to the drink the Aztecs made. The only difference would be the bitterness of the chocolate. To make it more authentic, use dark chocolate with a high cocoa content. Instead of the cocoa powder.
Buen provecho !