Making great salad at home
Ever been to a restaurant and wondering how they managed to get their salad to taste so good? There are well-kept secrets and tricks chefs use to make such great tasting salads. On this page, we will not only share these with you, but also give you great ideas about how to add another dimension. This, of course, is how to make the best ever spicy salad with fresh Chillies as an ingredient. The following are top tips on how to do this.
Making the prefect salad
- Only use the freshest salad leaves and herbs. Most top quality salads are made with ingredients picked the same day.
- Season your greens with salt and pepper, before adding a salad dressing.
- A basic salad dressing can be made with top quality oil and vinegar in a ratio of about two parts oil to one part vinegar (or lemon juice). Mix thoroughly so that it emulsifies. Adding mustard will help keep the dressing emulsified. To this, add fresh Chillies, shallots, Chill flakes, garlic and your favourite herbs. A little sugar can be added to balance the flavours before mixing.
- Dress the leaves evenly as you plate the salad. Each leaf should get just a fine coating of dressing, and then the salad should be gently tossed. Do not simply pour the dressing over the top, as this will make it soggy. Always dress the salad just before serving.
- Additional ingredients like crispy chicken, avocado, cheese and nuts add great flavour.
- Add fresh herbs to the salad, like basil or coriander (cilantro)
There is nothing written in stone when it comes to salad making. As long as the basics are covered, you can let your imagination run wild. Experiment with different salad dressings, ingredients and leaves. Salad leaves like rocket, endive and radicchio can add pleasant pepper or bitter notes to salads. Using different onions can add more flavour and texture, and using ingredients like bacon, salmon or eggs will further enhance the taste experience.
Happy salad making!