Breakfast is a meal that is eaten every day across the world. And while some countries and regions might share similarities in what is eaten, it is absolutely staggering just how this morning meal can vary from region to region when drawing comparisons.
The English and Americans might eat bacon and eggs, where in India, you will find flatbreads served with spicy sauces, in China - rice Congee and spicy omelettes in Thailand. While it was not uncommon for spicy foods to be eaten for breakfast in the Far East; it is only recently that the West has begun to catch on. It is now not unheard of that dishes like Shakshuka, Huevos Rancheros, spicy hash browns, Chorizo and eggs and spicy avocado toasts are found across breakfast menus in homes and cafes in the Western world.
A plan for a spicy breakfast
If you're looking to add some heat to your morning routine, here's a plan for a spicy breakfast:
- Spicy Shakshuka: Shakshuka is a popular Middle Eastern dish made of eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce. To make it, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet and sauté a diced onion and a diced bell pepper until softened. Add a tablespoon of harissa or your favorite hot sauce, a can of diced tomatoes, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Simmer the mixture for about 10 minutes, then use a spoon to make wells in the sauce and crack eggs into them. Cover the skillet and cook until the eggs are set to your liking.
- Spicy Avocado Toast: Mash half an avocado with a fork and spread it onto a slice of toasted bread. Top with a fried egg and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes or hot sauce.
- Spicy Breakfast Burrito: Scramble some eggs in a skillet with diced onions and peppers, then add a spoonful of your favourite hot sauce. Spoon the mixture onto a tortilla, add some shredded cheese and roll up. Grill the burrito on a panini press or a hot skillet until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is crispy.
- Spicy Smoothie: Blend together a banana, a cup of frozen mango, a handful of spinach, and a small piece of fresh ginger. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper or a dash of hot sauce for an extra kick.
- Spicy Yogurt Parfait: Layer plain Greek yogurt with diced mango, a sprinkle of granola, and a drizzle of honey mixed with a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Note: Adjust the level of spiciness to your taste preferences and make sure to balance the heat with other flavors and ingredients.