Spicy cordon bleu
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 350 g
- Calories: 1123
- Fat: 83 g
- Saturated fat: 21 g
- Unsaturated fat: 58 g
- Trans fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 962 mg
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 62 g
- Cholesterol: 161 mg
Recipe type: Main
The name " cordon bleu" literally means blue ribbon In French. It apparently originates from the 16th century when knights who had been awarded the highest order of chivalry were given the right to wear a blue ribbon as part of their insignia. The term has subsequently used to signify the greatest level achievable in many other contexts, including food. Say no more about just how good this recipe is !
- Chicken breast fillets - four
- Ham – four slices
- Cheese – eight slices ( Mozzarella or Emmental)
- Spicy Panko bread crumbs - one cup ( see note)
- Red chillies – eight ( stem and top removed, slice lengthwise)
- Flour – half a cup
- Vegetable oil – two cups and a bit for frying the chillies
- Egg – three
- Milk - six tablespoons
- Salt and pepper – for seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan, fry the chillies for a minute or two.
- Remove from the heat and keep to one side.
- Cut the chicken through the middle horizontally without cutting all the way through, i.e. butterflying the breast so that it will fold open flat.
- Cover these in clingfilm and tenderize and slightly flatten using a meat mallet or rolling pin
- Pat both sides of the butterflied breasts with absorbent kitchen towels to get rid of any moisture
- Season the breasts with salt and pepper
- Place the ham, chillies and cheese on top of one half of the butterflied chicken. .Fold into a roll and secure with toothpicks.
- Add the eggs to the milk and mix.
- Place the egg wash, flour and breadcrumbs into separate shallow bowls.
- Dip the rolled escallops firstly into the flour, then the wash then finally into the breadcrumbs.
- Heat two cups of oil to a medium heat
- Fry the Cordon Bleus in batches until done. They should golden, brown and crispy.
- Drain excess oil off on absorbent kitchen towels
- Remove the toothpicks
- Serve with a hot sauce like Sriracha.
Keywords: Spicy cordon bleu
Serves: 4 portions
Serves: 4 portions